Wycliffe Associates accelerates Bible translation around the world by empowering national translators and equipping the local church to share God’s Word in their own heart languages
8 Weeks of Code is an opportunity to use your design and development skills to build software that will help Bible Translators to put scripture into their own heart language.
When: June 18th to August 10th, 2018
Where: Orlando, FL
What: Using an Agile process, each week of development will focus on a concentration of specific goals to be accomplished as a design sprint. It will begin with collaboration and creation of these goals and end with opportunity to present and review the accomplishments. Each day, every team member will have the opportunity to provide feedback on their progress so far, their next steps, and raise any questions that they have along the way.
Throughout 8 Weeks of Code, guides and mentors will be available to project members. Special guests will be featured who will provide guidance, inspiration, and feedback to the group.
Special events are also planned during the week and weekend. These are optional, but provided to add a variety of bonding and recreational activities both on the Wycliffe campus and in the greater Orlando area.
At least 1.3 billion people don't have the full Bible in their own language.
7,000 languages are in the world, but only 2888 have even just some Scripture.
Only 531 languages have the complete Bible.
Millions of people are waiting for God's Word in the language of their heart. Christian organizations and churches across the globe have united in Vision 2025, the commitment to initiate a translation in all languages which still need the Bible by the year 2025.
We have less than 10 years to fulfill Vision 2025
God is on the move. Breakthrough techniques developed in just the past year are enabling the New Testament to be translated in as little as two weeks with just pen and paper. Teams are deploying satellite internet to places that don't even have electricity in order to connect local churches with Bible scholars on other continents. Apps are being developed to equip persecuted Christians in the most difficult parts of the world.
What is accomplished during 8 Weeks of Code will transform lives and change the world for Christ.
What can you create to accelerate Bible translation?
We're looking for these talents and skills:
- Android Mobile Application Development -- most of the world will never own a PC or Mac. But millions of people, even in the developing world, own Smart Phones and Tablets, so those are the devices we are targeting.
- Databases -- translating scripture creates a lot of data. What better way to organize and manage it than with a database?
- API -- Do you know how to retrieve and send data through APIs? What about building one? The content generated with a mobile translation app will get fed into an API to publish the data so millions of Bibleless people can consume it on their own devices.
- The best software in the world is useless if the user can't figure out how to work it. We want an awesome User Interface and that comes from people who understand that great software is beautiful and easy to use.
Whatever Talents the Lord has Given You
- We seek the Lord's leading to help us find the right team members for this 8 week experience. If you have some skill or talent that can help build a software tool -- apply. You have nothing to lose and everything to give!